It is AIC’s view that the intermediary liability regime outlined in the amended Computer Crime Act passed by the National Legislative Assembly on Friday is detrimental to Thailand’s ambition to become a regional digital economy hub.
An uncertain intermediary liability regime will make it difficult for Internet-based companies to operate in Thailand, both foreign and local, raising barriers to entry particularly for start-ups by raising compliance costs. This will also deter investment, crucial for the growth of Thailand’s budding start-up and small-and-medium enterprise (SME) scene.
We hope that the Thai Government and the Ministry of Digital Economy and Society will meaningfully consider comments and suggestions from foreign and local service providers during the drafting of relevant implementing legislation.
For enquiries, please contact: email@example.com.
The Asia Internet Coalition (AIC) is pleased to welcome PayPal and Expedia group, further expanding our membership to include ten of the world’s leading Internet companies supporting the growth of the digital economy across the Asia Pacific.
The AIC membership now comprises Apple, Expedia group, Facebook, Google, LINE, LinkedIn, PayPal, Rakuten, Twitter and Yahoo!.
PayPal was founded in 1998, and continues to be at the forefront of the digital payments revolution. PayPal gives people better ways to manage and move their money, offering them choice and flexibility in how they are able to send money, pay or get paid. It operates an open, secure and technology agnostic payments platform that businesses use to securely transact with their customers online, in stores and increasingly on mobile devices. In 2015, 28% of the 4.9 billion payments PayPal processed were made on a mobile device. With its 188 million active customer accounts, PayPal is a truly global payments platform that is available to people in over 200 markets, allowing customers to get paid in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds to their bank accounts in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
Expedia group (NASDAQ: EXPE) is one of the world’s leading travel companies, with an extensive brand portfolio that includes leading online travel brands, and empowering business and leisure travellers through technology with the tools and information they need to efficiently research, plan, book and experience travel.
Expedia group seeks to grow its business through a dynamic portfolio of travel brands, including our majority-owned subsidiaries that feature the world’s broadest supply portfolio – including more than 307,000 properties and 1.2 million live vacation rental listings in 200 countries, over 475 airlines, packages, rental cars, cruises, as well as destination services and activities. Travel suppliers distribute and market products via Expedia group’s traditional desktop offerings, as well as through alternative distribution channels including mobile and social media, Expedia group’s private label business and call centers in order to reach an extensive, global audience. In addition, Expedia group’s advertising and media businesses help other businesses, primarily travel providers, reach a large audience of travellers around the globe. Expedia group’s portfolio of brands includes:
- Expedia.com®, a leading full service online travel company with localized sites in 33 countries
- Hotels.com®, a preeminent global lodging expert operating in more than 65 countries and 35 languages with its award winning Hotels.com® Rewards loyalty program
- Orbitz Worldwide, including leading U.S. travel websites Orbitz.com and CheapTickets.com, as well as ebookers, a full service travel brand with websites in seven European countries
- Expedia® Affiliate Network (EAN), a global B2B business that powers the hotel business of leading airlines, top consumer brands, online travel agencies and thousands of other partners through its API and template solutions
- trivago®, a leading online hotel search with sites in 55 countries worldwide
- HomeAway®, a global online marketplace for the vacation rental industry, which also includes the Abritel, FeWo-direkt and BedandBreakfast.com brands, among others
- Egencia®, a leading corporate travel management company
- Travelocity®, a leading online travel brand in the U.S. and Canada delivering customer service when and where our customers need it with the Customer 1st Guarantee
- Hotwire®, inspiring spontaneous travel through Hot Rate® deals
- Expedia® Media Solutions, the advertising sales division of the Expedia group that builds media partnerships and enables brand advertisers to target a highly-qualified audience of travel consumers
- Wotif Group, a leading portfolio of travel brands including Wotif.com®, Wotif.co.nz, lastminute.com.au®, lastminute.co.nz and travel.com.au®
- Classic Vacations®, a top luxury travel specialist
- CarRentals.com™, a premier online car rental booking company with localized sites in 13 countries
- Expedia Local Expert®, a provider of online and in-market concierge services, activities, experiences and ground transportation in hundreds of destinations worldwide
- Venere.com™, an online hotel reservation specialist in Europe
- Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, a provider of exceptional value and expert advice for travelers booking cruises and vacations through its network of over 220 retail travel agency franchises across North America
For more information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Asia Internet Coalition (AIC) is pleased to welcome LINE and Rakuten as new members, joining our existing members Apple, Facebook, Google, LinkedIn, Twitter and Yahoo!.
Launched officially in 2011, AIC comprises some of the world’s leading Internet companies that are present across the Asia Pacific. The addition of LINE and Rakuten will further broaden AIC’s membership to include company representation from Asia.
Since its inception, AIC has been active in seeking to partner and collaborate with governments and other stakeholders across the region to promote the understanding and resolution of Internet policy issues.
Our interests are to ensure that the Internet remains open and that users around Asia enjoy the maximum economic, social and cultural benefits from the online world for years to come, and that they can do so safely, securely and confidently.
Our expanding membership signals the importance we place in markets across Asia and the potential the Internet brings for the digital economy and broader economic growth for countries in the region.
LINE Corporation is based in Japan and develops and operates the LINE app for smartphones which offers one-to-one and group messaging as well as free domestic and international voice and video calls. LINE also includes a wide array of social elements such as fun and expressive stickers, a personal Home, a Timeline and numerous LINE family apps including LINE games and LINE Camera. Since launching in June 2011, the LINE app has grown into a global service used in 230 countries.
Rakuten, Inc., based in Japan, provides the platform, traffic and expertise to empower businesses on the Internet. Beyond its flagship e-commerce business in the B2B2C marketplace, the Rakuten group has diversified to other online services, including eBooks & eReading, travel, banking, securities, credit cards, e-money, portal media, online marketing etc. Rakuten owns Viber, a global messaging and VoIP app.
For more information, please contact: email@example.com.